ServiceCore offers two options for billing a rental: Event or Recurring. This article will explain how to create an invoice for a rental with a billing type of recurring. By "Recurring" billing, we mean that you can create a recurring invoice with rental rates and service line items based on a specific billing interval. It's like a "template" for the rental that you setup once and then use to create new invoices for this rental every month, 28 days, or whatever billing interval you choose. Then each time you create an invoice from the recurring invoice, each service and rate will carry over to the next invoice.
Examples of when to use recurring billing would be for construction rentals, long-term rentals, events or festivals that last more than a few weeks or months, etc. On the other hand, if you would like to learn about event billing, check out our article about how to create a rental invoice with event billing.
In this article, you'll learn how to create an invoice for a rental with billing type of "Recurring".
Before You Start
Here are a few things to keep in mind before you create a rental invoice with recurring billing:
- Before creating a rental invoice, you must first create a rental
- You must have Manager, Admin or Owner level permission to create a rental and an invoice for that rental
- Rental invoices can only be created for one job site at a time
- Rental invoices can only have jobs and services for one rental at a time
About One-Time Charges
Service line items on recurring invoices will appear on each subsequent invoice generated from the recurring invoice. This means that there are no one-time charges on recurring invoices. For example, if you charge a delivery fee at the beginning of a rental, you will need to manually remove the delivery fee from the recurring invoice before you create a second invoice. If you don't, each recurring invoice will show a delivery fee.
Instead, if you want to charge a one-time delivery fee, you can create a separate (non-recurring) invoice for this rental will a billing type of Event. Only services and rates you want to charge every time for each billing interval should be included on recurring invoices.
To Enable AutoPay for Recurring Invoices
Recurring invoices have the advantage of allowing you to setup AutoPay. This means that each time you create a new invoice from the recurring invoice, the credit card associated with the invoice will automatically be charged for the recurring invoice amount. After the card is charged, a receipt will be created automatically. If your customer is setup for email communication, the email receipt will send automatically to your customer. If your customer is setup for print communication, you will be able to print and send the PDF receipt to your customer.
To Enable AutoPay for recurring invoices, you will need to first:
- Setup your ServiceCore account for credit card processing through CardConnect or Authorize.net
- Have a saved credit card for the customer that will be paying the recurring invoice (this article explains how to add a credit or debit card for a customer)
Create a Rental Invoice with Recurring Billing
To create a rental invoice with recurring billing, follow these steps:
- Create a rental
- If you have already created the rental, navigate to Rentals
- Use the Filter by options and the search box to narrow your list of results
- Locate the rental
- Click View Rental
- Scroll down to the Invoices section
- Click on Start New Invoice
- Review the information in the upper portion of the page for accuracy
- Under the Billing type section, select Recurring
- Choose if you want to bill in Arrears or in Advance
- Choose the billing Interval of daily, weekly, monthly or yearly
- Choose how often from the every text box
- If you choose Monthly, you will also choose what day of the month the interval should repeat
- Choose a Start date for the recurring invoice (it will default to the same date at the first delivery job of the rental)
- Any rental rates associated with this rental that fall between the start date and end date will appear in the Services table with the prorated quantity calculated automatically, and the billing interval date range and product name pre-filled in the description
- Use the search box below the Services table to add any additional services to this recurring invoice
- Choose a Tax Code
- Finish filling out the rest of the form
- Once you're finished, click one of the buttons at the bottom of the form depending on what you want to do next
After creating an rental invoice with recurring billing, here are some next steps you might take: