Rental rates take the guesswork out of proration and flat rate charges, and makes sure you get paid for all the time your inventory is on a job site. Setup rental rates once or adjust your rates during the course of a rental. As you add or remove units from a job site, ServiceCore will handle the proration and flat rate calculations and display them on invoices. No calculator required!
In this article, you'll learn how to add rental rates.
Before You Start
Here are a few things to keep in mind before you add rental rates:
- You must have Manager, Admin or Owner level permission to add rental rates
- If you use proration for billing your rentals, you must add rental rates for proration to be calculated automatically on invoices
- Rental rates can be used to bill for flat rate services (if you have service line items that repeat on every invoice and don't need to prorate)
- We recommend reading our article about proration
We recommend having the following items already created and setup in your ServiceCore account before adding rental rates to a rental:
- Add rental services
- Assign services to your inventory products to appear as rental rates
- Add classes
- Create a Rental
Add Rental Rates
Show Me How
For step-by-step, in-app help adding a customer, follow these steps:
Tell Me How
To add rental rates, follow these steps:
- Create a Rental
- If you have already created the rental, navigate to Rentals
- Use the Filter by options and the search box to narrow your list of results
- Locate the rental
- Click View Rental
- Scroll to the Rental Rates section
- Click Add Rental Rates
- In the lightbox that appears, you will see the name and quantity of products on this rental
- Click the Choose Service dropdown for the product that should have rental rates
- Choose the service you want to add as a rental rate from the list of options that appear
- For rental rates services that you want to prorate for each billing cycle, choose one of the services in the Days, Weeks, Months, or Years category (the services that appear under these categories will depend on what you have setup in your account)
- For rental rate services that you don't want to prorate for each billing cycle, choose one of the services in the Flat Rate section (if you do not have any flat rate services in your account, you will need to create one)
- After you add a service, you will see the default description, rate and billing period for this service and you can edit these if needed
- Choose a class for each rental rate, if applicable (or click Apply to all to apply the same class to all rental rates)
- Check the box for Tax if you want to charge tax on this rental rate
- If you need to remove a rental rate, click the trash can icon
- Continue adding services for all products
- Once you're finished, click Save
- Back on the rental details page, you will now see your rental rates listed in the Rental Rates section
- If you need to edit a rental rate, click Edit Rental Rates at any time
Rental Rates on Invoices
After you've created rental rates, follow these steps to create an invoice or a recurring invoice with rental rates:
Rental Rates FAQs
Do I have to use rental rates?
No. Rental rates are not required to be used for creating and billing a rental. Use rental rates when you want to:
- Have proration amount calculated automatically on delivery and pickup for recurring billing
- Have flat rate services show up for each one-time invoice or for each recurring invoice billing interval
If you don't want to use rental rates, you can instead:
- Add service lines items to your one-time invoices and recurring invoices (service line items in the "Services" section on invoices will not prorate)
Or, you can use a combination of rental rates and service line items, for example:
- Add a monthly rental rate for the "Monthly Rental Charge"
- Add a flat rate rental rate for an "On-Site Attendant"
- Add a service line item of "Environmental fee" on the invoice
I made a mistake when adding rental rates, can I change them?
Yes! If you need to add, remove, or edit rental rates, click the Edit Rental Rates button on your rental at any time.
What happened to all the rental rates I setup before?
All rental rates you setup previously when creating rentals have been moved to the new rental rates section on the rental details page and the rental rates section of invoices.
Will Flat Rate rental rates prorate?
No, flat rate rental rates will not prorate. Instead, each time you create an invoice, the full flat rate amount will appear as a service line item. Flat rate services do not prorate.